Tampa News Monday, June 18
- 5 dead in rollover crash following border chase
- Rallies planned in Tampa Bay to protest separating families at the border
- 133 years ago, the Statue of Liberty arrived in New York
- At least five people were killed and several others hurt Sunday as an SUV carrying more than a dozen people during a suspected smuggling event crashed while fleeing from Border Patrol agents in South Texas, authorities said.
- The SUV carrying 14 people went out of control at more than 100 mph and overturned on Texas Highway 85, ejecting most of the occupants, Dimmit County Sheriff Marion Boyd said.
- The Border Patrol said in a statement Sunday night that two other vehicles had been traveling alongside the SUV earlier in the day.
- The third vehicle kept going when agents encountered it, and a sheriffs deputy took over the chase prior to the fatal crash, the border patrol said.
- Our deepest sympathies go out to the families of those who died in the crash, The Border Patrol said in the statement.
@WFLA: #BREAKING: 5 dead after car being chased by Border Patrol agents crashes in Texas. https://t.co/j7Fv59j7HP https://t.co/6ucyNcUXQU
- CLEARWATER, Fla. — Two rallies are planned across Tampa Bay to protest the separating of children from their families at the U.S.-Mexico border.
- The group, Indivisible Safety Harbor, is holding a Rally to End Family Separation.
- The rally will be held at 4 p.m. Monday on the corner of FL-580 and McMullen Booth Road in Clearwater.
- According to the USA Today, family separations on the U.S.-Mexico border have drawn global attention since Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the administrations zero tolerance policy in April.
- Sessions has described the policy as a deterrent to families attempting to enter the U.S. illegally.
@10NewsWTSP: Rallies planned in Tampa Bay to protest separating families at the border https://t.co/cOS7ulG53Z https://t.co/UJ0k8HhAEx
- According to History.com, the Statue of Liberty arrived in the New York Harbor on June 17, 1885,in 350 pieces that were packed into more than 200 cases.
- The Liberty Enlightening the World Statue has since become a symbol of freedom and democracy.The Statue of Liberty – Ellis Island Foundation says thatwith the placing of The New Colossus on a plaque in the pedestal in 1903, Lady Libertys significance grew as an inspiration to immigrants who sailed past…
- In the 1980s, the National Park Service and theStatue of Liberty – Ellis Island Foundation began restoration on the Statue to replace iron armature bars with stainless steel.
- After September 11, 2001, the Statue of Liberty was closed for 100 days, according to the NPS.
- The Statue and Liberty Island reopened on July 4, 2013.
@WFLA: 133 years ago today, the Statue of Liberty arrived in New York https://t.co/NQSFX22UFm https://t.co/gnbrzkQMLl