Tampa News Thursday, June 7
- Arrests for illegal border crossings top 50,000 in May
- 6 Florida cities make list of ’50 worst’ U.S. cities to live in
- Fatal crash shuts down eastbound lanes of Hillsborough Ave. in Tampa
- U.S. Border Patrol agents made 51,912 arrests in May for illegal crossings, the third month in a row the number has topped 50,000 amid a new zero tolerance policy and agents separating families caught crossing illegally.
- The Trump administration like previous administrations uses the arrest numbers as the best gauge of whether illegal crossings are going up or down, though there is no precise measure of illegal crossings because some people aren’t caught.
- The May tally was more than triple the number from April 2017, which was the lowest on record since the Homeland Security Department was created in 2003.
- But behind closed doors last month, he criticized the Homeland Security secretary at a Cabinet meeting for failing to stop rising numbers.
- These numbers show that while the Trump administration is restoring the rule of law, it will take a sustained effort and continuous commitment of resources over many months to disrupt cartels, smugglers, and nefarious actors, he said.
@10NewsWTSP: Arrests for illegal border crossings top 50,000 in May https://t.co/J3RcQ4AUsF https://t.co/HZUkhaNRYq
- (WDTN) – Detroit, Michigan holds the title as the worst city to live in America, according to a new report ranking Americas 50 worst cities to call home.
- The study, which was conducted by 24/7 Wall Street, used U.S. Census data on the roughly 600 cities that had populations of more than 50,000 in 2016, which was the most recent year available.
- Each city was given a rating based on nine categories including crime, demography, economy, education, and housing.
- Six Florida cities made the list.
- Homestead had the highest ranking of the Florida cities on the list.
@WFLA: 6 Florida cities make list of ’50 worst’ U.S. cities to live in! https://t.co/6cLqVIwM2Z https://t.co/tjrAUOKDcy
@10NewsWTSP: Fatal crash shuts down eastbound lanes of Hillsborough Ave. in Tampa https://t.co/eUnuWh3BB6 https://t.co/ywxS0GN1HN