Civil Engineer at Bureau of Reclamation in Denver, CO
Bureau of Reclamation📌 Denver, CO
You will be redirected to Bureau of Reclamation's preferred application process.
Reclamation is seeking a career professional looking for an opportunity to capitalize on his or her expertise as a Civil Engineer. Make a difference in the West by assisting in meeting increasing water demands while protecting the environment. Location
- Lakewood, Colorado.
ResponsibilitiesThe primary duties of this position are:
- Designs or determines the type, number, and location of instruments needed to monitor dams' structural performance, verify safety, provide early warning of potential distress, and provide information needed to make rational decisions on remedial actions.
- Evaluates the physical condition of instrumentation systems at existing structures to make recommendations regarding the usefulness of systems and the monitoring needs of the structures.
- Researches new types of instruments, completes trial installations, and evaluates results.
- Analyzes data and assures projects are completed within established schedule and budget.
- Provides technical guidance to ensure the proper installation, reading, and reporting of data.
- Trains field personnel in instrumentation techniques and observation requirements.
- Prepares reports and technical papers which present results of Reclamation studies. Requirements.
Conditions of EmploymentTo be eligible, an applicant must meet the following: U.S. Citizen or National Suitability for Federal employment determined by background investigation Submit a resume and supporting documentation See How to Apply Meet specialized experience requirements See
QualificationsSubmit transcripts, if required, to verify education requirements For veterans consideration, submit documents under Required Documents Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement, 12/31/2020 Applicants may be required to serve an initial probationary period. Current permanent Federal employees who are selected from this announcement may be required to serve a probationary period. Qualifications.
Basic EducationRequirements: A. Degree: Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
OR B. Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration or licensure -
- Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT)1, or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
2. Written Test -
- Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE)2 examination or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
3. Specified academic courses -
- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and that included the courses specified in the basic requirements under paragraph A. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of an engineering program as described in paragraph A.
4. Related curriculum -
- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all inclusive.) Substitution of Education/Specialized
ExperienceRequirements: In addition to the basic education requirement, in order to be rated as qualified for this position, the HR Office must be able to determine that the applicant meets the substitution of education and/or specialized experience requirement - this information must be clearly supported in the resume. Substitution of
Education3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph. D. degree or Ph. D. or equivalent doctoral degree. Specialized
ExperienceRequirements: To qualify at the GS-11 level, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level in Federal service. Specialized experience at this level is defined as: Specialized experience includes designing and/or determining performance monitoring instrumentation needed for dams, or other civil structures to ensure structural performance and verify safety. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, Ameri.
Corps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Applicants will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. If selected, the selectee will be required to provide official college transcripts to verify educational qualifications. An official transcript must be sent directly from the University's Registrar's office and must be provided from the institution awarding the degree. Academic transcripts certified by notary publics are NOT official. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to reporting to work as a condition of employment. Failure to submit official transcripts may be grounds for dismissal or rescission of the job offer. Education.
This position has a mandatory education requirement. Applicants must submit a copy of college transcript(s) (unofficial copy is acceptable) to support claimed education if substituting education for experience. Transcripts must include the name of the college or university and date the degree was conferred. Non-submission will result in being rated not-qualified for the position. Accreditation: Only education from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education is acce
You will be redirected to Bureau of Reclamation's preferred application process.
Job Expires: December 18, 2020
More ICYMI Jobs
Uh oh! Something went wrong. Please try again.