IOT News Saturday, February 10
IOT News TLDR / Table of Contents
- What can we expect from cybersecurity in 2018?
- As 2017 has come to a close, it is time to prepare ourselves for 2018.
- data breaches, unfulfilled cybersecurity jobs, cybersecurity breaches, Lenovo Security Vault, official Lenovo blog
- 5 Ways SMS Messaging Will Play Out in IoT
- Technophiles and dreamers unite in their joint vision of a future where our lives are connected via a network of devices that electronically talk both to each…
- Trek type Tricorder, heart rate, Lab Sensor Solutions, mobile sensors, smart flower pot
- UX for Product Managers
- Everybody is talking about UX, but what does it really mean? In this post I go over some basics of UX for Product Managers and more importantly, how can you create better products by leveraging UX.
- UX, user, user experience, Software UX, product
- No-collar workforce: Humans and machines in one loop—collaborating in roles and new talent models
- Is HR prepared to manage both man and machine? As automation, artificial intelligence, and cognitive technologies gain traction, companies may need to reinvent worker roles, assigning some to humans, others to machines, and still others to a hybrid model in which technology augments human performance.
- human workers, no-collar workforce, bots, no-collar workforce trend, no-collar trend
- OracleVoice: Top 10 Strategic CIO Priorities Of 2018
- No CIO can ignore the considerable business opportunities that advances like blockchain, machine learning, or the Internet of Things present in the coming year.
- CIOs, important challenges CIOs, companies, CIO Kevin Neifert, Raytheon CIO Kevin
- CES 2018 Recap – IoT on the Rise
- CES 2018 Recap: Our team found some cool companies making meaningful progress through IoT in the journey toward a connected world.
- hidden IoT gems, global IoT company, smart home, Greenwave Systems, enterprise IoT
- 16 Data Science Repositories
- Each one is a repository in its own, and they cover topics such as time series, regression, outliers, clustering, correlation, Hadoop, deep learning, Python, I…
- DSC Resources, time series, data sets, cheat sheets, popular articles
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 18:09:04 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-01-26T12:09:09+00:00
Author: Peter Church
- Most of these data breaches were the cause of poor internal security practices.
- Hackers now are not only limited to your traditional PC threat, with the development of technology today, these threats are now available towards Internet of Things (IoT).
- Many of these devices still lack security features, which is a dangerous thought for the future.
- We are probably looking at more knowledge in the field of app security and testing, in order to combat cybercrimes through apps.
- From whatever brand your device was purchased from, most brands will come with warranties and a security team.
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 20:00:46 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2016-01-11T21:48:27+00:00
- This intelligent design, often – and fondly – referred to as the ‘Internet of Things’, is a way to semi-automate everything from our homes to our workplaces to all kinds of fun and functional activities in between.
- SMS may connect medical professionals in their quest for quicker and more accurate diagnoses, but there are also real-world applications for everyday use as well; there are already pill boxes that will text you a reminder if you forget to take your daily dose, and a clever wearable gadget could…
- Smart locks with electronic sensors can be activated – or deactivated, should your child arrive home to an empty house and find themselves unable to remember the entry code – by text, and should a break-in occur, emergency services and other chosen parties will get an SMS update as well….
- A network of wireless sensors placed around the home and even worn on the person can track, log, and transmit a person’s daily activities and alert the proper authorities if there’s a heat flare (fire), lack of regular activity (sudden illness or a fall), or even a fever or elevated…
- Experts say that there may be as many as 30 billion devices in the collective Internet of Things by the year 2020 – a huge web of connected devices that work in concert to make our lives bigger, better, and more efficient.
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 20:00:57 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2013-09-06T16:59:53+00:00
Author: Daniel Elizalde
- UX is short for User Experience Design, and it can be defined as the branch of design that creates easy-to-use and delightful products that focus on the user’s needs.
- You can think of UX as another tool in your Product Management belt to help you create the best possible product: one that truly solves the user’s needs and reduces the user frustration that is so common in the software world today.
- Keep in mind that UX is a comprehensive discipline and it can also help you design user experiences related to non-software areas of you product, such as packaging, buying experience, store experience (think Apple store), support experience, etc.
- UX brings to the table teams of trained professionals whose main goal is to design software that is focused on the user as opposed to business requirements or the will of the Engineering team.
- Design researchers can perform stakeholder interviews, heuristic evaluations of existing software, contextual inquiries to see the users “acting in the wild”, Kano studies, affinity diagrams and many other techniques to get to the bottom of the user’s pain.
Tweeted At: Fri Feb 09 21:20:08 +0000 2018
- As automation, artificial intelligence, and cognitive technologies gain traction, companies may need to reinvent worker roles, assigning some to humans, others to machines, and still others to a hybrid model in which technology augments human performance.
- Most respondents (77 percent) said they will either retrain people to use new technology or will redesign jobs to better take advantage of human skills.3 Recent Deloitte UK research suggests that despite inroads by digital and smart technologies in the workplace, essential “human” skills will remain important for the foreseeable future.4…
- As companies transition from a traditional to an augmented workforce model, some may struggle to categorize and describe work in a way that connects it to AI, robotic process automation (RPA), and cognitive.
- Being “fluent” in your company’s technologies means understanding critical systems—their capabilities and adjacencies, their strategic and operational value, and the particular possibilities they enable.6 In the context of workforce transformation, workers who possess an in-depth understanding of automation and the specific technologies that enable it will likely be able to…
- However, companies planning to build an augmented workforce cannot assume that workers will be sufficiently fluent to adapt quickly to new technologies and roles.
Tweeted At: Fri Feb 09 05:56:51 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-01-29T10:00:00+00:00
Author: Rob Preston
- But no CIO can ignore the considerable business opportunities those technology-based advances present: lower costs; more efficient supply chains; more secure networks and data stores; more dynamic and reliable products; more personalized customer service; and—if CIOs and their teams get it right—more abundant, loyal customers.
- IDC predicted in 2014 that by 2020, CDOs would “supplant” CIOs at 60% of global companies “for the delivery of IT-enabled products and digital services.”
- Forrester Research predicts that the CDO will fade into obsolescence within five years as “digital transformation” at each company broadens beyond a handful of special initiatives to become the core, revenue-generating business—at which point CIOs will assume control of the digital strategy, working with the CEO and other C-level peers…
- As the Internet of Things (IoT), machine learning, advanced data analytics, and other cutting-edge technologies move into the enterprise mainstream, CIOs have better tools to help take their companies into adjacent industries—even to the point where they may have to cannibalize parts of their own business model.
- “Those kinds of industry intersection points are going to generate the next generation of business opportunities,” says Sunil Kanchi, CIO of digital technology service provider UST Global, which recently worked with a healthcare company on an IoT device that crosses into the auto industry.
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 18:06:03 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-01-15T00:00:00+00:00
Author: Eric Conn
- There are numerous factors at play including increased standardization at the protocol level, continued gains in cloud computing, the availability of several low-cost, wide-area wireless connectivity options such as LTE-M, NB-IoT, and LoRa, and a plethora of inexpensive and diminutive sensors that can be embedded into nearly anything.
- At their booth in CES, OCF demonstrated a fully interactive Smart Home concept with connected refrigerators, locks, HVAC units, alarm systems, and other components from various vendors including Samsung and LG.
- Devices that are OCF certified are guaranteed to be interoperable and seamlessly connect to the network – enabling consumers to quickly assemble an integrated smart home out of various manufacturer’s products.
- Greenwave Systems
– Greenwave Systems is a global IoT company that provides managed technology products and services to mobile carriers, telecommunications companies, utilities, and other service providers.
– Taoglas is a global leader in the area of base station, external, and embedded antenna solutions for cellular (2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G), LPWAN (LoRa, Sigfox, LTE-M, NB-IoT), GPS/GNSS, and short-range (Bluetooth, WiFi, Zigbee).
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 20:00:38 +0000 2018
Author: Vincent Granville
Top IOT Courses
Internet of Things (IoT) Automation using Raspberry Pi 2 (1,358 students enrolled)By Venkatesh Varadachari
- Read the raw temperature of the multiple sensors using Linux command.
- Program the sensors to display the updated temperature after a delay of every 10 seconds.
- Receive an automated email alert when the temperature crosses a certain limit.
- Connect the sensors to an open source cloud and access the temperature in a web dashboard from anywhere.
- Retrieve the complete month statistics by visiting the web portal.
Start the Internet of Things (IoT) from scratch (96 students enrolled)By Dr. Kobkiat Saraubon
- Build your own IoT projects using NodeMCU based on Arduino platform
- Write programs to control your hardware
- Connect your IoTs to cloud services to store/process/share some data