Sschat, ksedchat, crp, edchat & much more…
EdChat News Tuesday, July 10
- Bringing students’ cultures into the classroom ⋅ Charlottesville Tomorrow
sschat, ksedchat, crp, edchat, culturallyresponsivepedagogy, socialjustce
- Breaking news about new curriculum – and a call to action!
OntEd, TeachersForTRC, Teachers4TRC, edchat, edtech
- The Heart of Innovation: The Only Risk is Not to Risk
innovation, risk, mitchditkoff, ideachampions, creativity, change, edchat, alsiraat
- 9 Major Trends That Will Dominate Ed Tech — THE Journal
edtech, educatin, edchat
- Let’s Stop Calling So Many People ‘Thought Leaders.’ – Peter DeWitt’s Finding Common Ground – Education Week
MondayMotivation, AVL2018, edchat
- Teacher Career Goals – Reflect, Plan, Prepare and Take Action
- Alabama’s pre-K program featured in documentary
PreK4AL, edchat, aledchat, ALpartners
- oodlü: beta
- Workshops – VoiceThread
- Chris Emdin, an associate professor of Science Education at Teachers College, Columbia University, gave a lecture for Albemarle County Public Schools employees on Thursday.
- On Thursday, a minority education expert advised teachers with Albemarle County Public Schools to check their biases, have honest conversations with their students and not be afraid to reveal themselves.
- Emdin encouraged Albemarle teachers to play clean versions of hip-hop songs in their classrooms and to allow students to move, tap on their desks and even dance.
- Emdin said teachers working in black communities could earn their students respect by dressing well and developing an individual fashion sense.
- Donna Evans, a visual arts teacher at Jack Jouett Middle School, said Emdin succeeded in showing teachers things they can do to engage all of their students, regardless of their background.
@DrTinaEllsworth: Ts learn about cultural relevance | #sschat #ksedchat #crp #edchat #culturallyresponsivepedagogy #socialjustce | https://t.co/CT2cxVRhyq
- On Friday July 6th at 4pm, members of the Truth and Reconciliation Writing Team that was tasked with continuing to add Indigenous perspectivesto the OntarioCurriculum was informed by the organizers at the government that their writing group that was slated to begin on Monday had been cancelled, and no commitment…
- After efforts to build much needed trust between Indigenous communities and the education system, this is a disrespectful move.
- I am thankful for all of youwho are dedicated to Indigenous education, and incorporating Indigenous perspectives.
- Indigenous students need to see themselves reflected in the curriculum, and Settler students need to know the truth and understand their responsibilities.
- I invite you to join me in raising our collective voices to ensure that this moment of beginning to bring Indigenous perspectives into our system is remembered as more than an educational trend, and that it continues on long into the future.
@anardozi: Breaking news about new curriculum – and a call to action! https://t.co/MYVJkxYN2a #OntEd #TeachersForTRC #Teachers4TRC #edchat #edtech
@mitchditkoff: The Only Risk is Not to Risk https://t.co/xpYl3TT1tP #innovation #risk #mitchditkoff #ideachampions #creativity #change #edchat #alsiraat
- At Isenberg, Johnson relies on a school subscription to DefinedSTEM, a repository of resources that lays out the basics through videos, then provides experiments and projects performance tasks in DefinedSTEM lingo for students to follow as they learn new concepts.
- What’s beginning to bubble up more frequently, however, according to Chelsea Waite, program director for global learning at Digital Promise Global, isn’t so much the consumption as how students are making use of new technologies to be creators.
- Waite is one of the leads behind the 360 Filmmakers Challenge, a program that works with Oculus to outfit schools with VR technology, including headsets and cameras (as well as basic training), and then encourages students to make videos on topics that matter to them.
- In 2016 Digital Promise teamed up with Maker Ed to issue a pledge called the Maker Promise to school leaders and teachers, urging them to dedicate space and resources and time to the concept of making activities in which the student does design and creation of physical or digital objects….
- Kloek, who formerly served as senior privacy and technology fellow at the U.S. Department of Education in the Office of the Chief Privacy Officer, said she was looking forward to attending a joint workshop, Student Privacy and Ed Tech, co-hosted by the U.S. Department of Education, which oversees FERPA, and…
@DefinedSTEM: 9 Major Trends That Will Dominate Ed Tech — THE Journal https://t.co/8wn8atQgl1 #edtech #educatin #edchat https://t.co/9JkGHDfGuQ
Let’s Stop Calling So Many People ‘Thought Leaders.’ – Peter DeWitt’s Finding Common Ground – Education Week
- The problem is that when we designate one person in the room as the thought leader, it has potential to lower the status of everyone else sitting in the room, and it seems to be happening more frequently.
- However, what I have noticed each and every time I run a workshop is that there are people in the room who have taken on larger challenges than I have, or used more innovative methods to engage students and teachers than I have, and they are not referred to as…
- Very rarely is one person a thought leader- Our ideas come from working with others.
- It sets the ‘Thought Leader’ up for failure- Too often when a person is referred to as a ‘Thought Leader’ one too many times, there are others sitting around them or on social media who cannot wait to find a reason to knock them down off their pedestal, which is…
- However, this need to give so many people the title of thought leader always creates an opportunity to divide us, because it gives status to one person and not to another.
@PeterMDeWitt: Let’s Stop Calling So Many People ‘Thought Leaders.” https://t.co/AnGJKey8t7 #MondayMotivation #AVL2018 #edchat https://t.co/joQPeflwEL
@CanadianResumes: Teacher Career Goals – Reflect, Plan, Prepare and Take Action https://t.co/Byk6vFSnUF via @Candace_Davies #edchat… https://t.co/rD94YgKBu9
@aplusala: Alabama’s pre-K program featured in documentary https://t.co/iOiaXq0wsD #PreK4AL #edchat #aledchat #ALpartners… https://t.co/yiJ6w16Ag5
@oodlu_tweets: oodlü beta is LIVE! https://t.co/FuVE1UfSlN #langchat #edchat https://t.co/kUakdIs7bw
@voicethread: Join us for free professional development! Check out the menu and register here: https://t.co/U8PE3TJa47 #edtech #edchat