Bitcoin News Tuesday, March 13 Central bank, European central bank, Blockchain technology & more…
Bitcoin News TLDR / Table of Contents
- Bitcoin can’t provide the answer to a cashless society, top central bank policymakers say
- The ECB and BIS representatives also rejected calls for a central bank cryptocurrency.
- central bank, European Central Bank, non-cash payments, opinion piece, central banks
- Forget tariffs. Use blockchain ‘smart contracts’ to ‘punish cheaters’ without ‘hurting friends’
- Using tariffs today is like “fighting a 21st century war with 19th century weapons,” says Jack Bouroudjian.
- blockchain technology, supply chain, smart contracts, tariffs, 21st century war
- IBM’s Watson plays pokemon – AT&T hackathon winner
- Hackathon winner Michael used the IBM Watson Visual Recognition API to identify Pokemon characters, and alerts other users to where the characters are.
- Watson Visual Recognition, Watson IoT platform, Pokémon, Shape Tech Expo, AT&T Shape Tech
- The findings form part of an opinion piece co-authored and published Tuesday by a member of the executive board of the European Central Bank, Benoit Couere, and Jacqueline Loh, chair of the Switzerland’s Bank for International Settlements (BIS) Markets Committee.
- New research from the BIS, known as the central bank of central banks, showed non-cash payments in 25 major countries have roughly doubled in size, as a share of gross domestic product, since the turn of the century.
- Cash is the only current way in which a person on the street can access money that is backed by a central bank.
- The piece contended that while a central bank digital currency (CBDC) could solve this risk, it could also disrupt the manner in which the financial system and economy currently works.
- A CBDC for all would challenge the current model of banks taking customer deposits and using that money to fund the lending that helps drive the economy, it said.
- One never comes to a board room to present a problem without also balancing it out with a proposed solution.
- As the debate about the new tariffs on steel and aluminum rage on, it’s important to realize that there is something we are missing altogether.
- Blanket tariffs have unintended consequences in commerce and, most important, are a tax on the U.S. consumer.
- Protectionism, or tariffs, are prosperity killers, plain and simple.
- To keep markets fair and open it becomes imperative to start thinking of solutions which are out of the box.
- I saw the Watson Visual Recognition API and wondered, what if I could get Watson to play Pokmon Go for me?
- Using the Watson Visual Recognition API Michael created a hack that takes periodical screenshots, identifies the Pokmon characters in them, and alerts other users to where the characters are.
- In the video below you can see the winning hacker, Michael, using our Watson IoT platform and the Watson Visual Recognition service.
- By the end of the hackathon Stefania Kaczmarczyk, a developer evangelist for IBMs Digital Group commented Watson can track Pokmon around the world and other players can see theres a really rare one that I want really bad over here, somebody else found it, now I can go get it……
- You can find out more aboutWatson IoT,including Watsons Visual Recognition Appalong with otherIoT APIs in the Watson Developer Cloudand read more about Michael and other hackers projects in theAT&T Shape Tech Expo site.
Top Bitcoin Courses
Blockchain and Bitcoin Fundamentals (24,858 students enrolled)By George Levy
- Have a strong understanding of what Blockchain technology is.
- Understand what Bitcoin is and how it works.
- Know and use key vocabulary and concepts commonly used when discussing Blockchain and Bitcoin in business situations.
The Complete Bitcoin Course: Get .0001 BTC In Your Wallet (12,665 students enrolled)By Ravinder Deol
- Understand How Bitcoin Works As A Globally Based Cryptocurrency, And Get Involved With It Practically As Well As Learning The Theoretical Side Of The Currency.
- Realise How Anyone Can Get Involved In Bitcoin Mining, Whether It’s For Profit Or Just For Fun, You Will Be Able To Start Mining Your Very Own Bitcoins With Everything On This Course.
- Undertake Your First Ever Bitcoin Transaction By Receiving .0001 Bitcoin From Me, Simply By Enrolling On This Course As A Paid Student.