BigData News Friday, April 6 Percent greater likelihood, Sudden loss, Artificial intelligence & more…
- Big Data: Losing your nest egg can kill you – The Boston Globe
percent greater likelihood, nest egg, sudden loss, two-year period, Northwestern University
- UW to open AI research institute
artificial intelligence, Development Navdeep Bains, Waterloo Artificial Intelligence, future economic distruption, properly leveraged AI
- AI Becoming Top Corporate Tech Spending Priority
chief information officers, Morgan Stanley,
- 10 Big Data Analytics Privacy Problems
big data analytics,
- Tech Emergence – Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Insights
artificial intelligence, life sciences industry, AI secondary research, Episode summary, social media
- How to develop and use artificial intelligence will be the focus of a new institute being launched by the University of Waterloo.
- The announcement Friday said the Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute will bring together a group of researchers and businessesto advance technology and prepare Canada for future economic distruption.
- Feridun Hamdullahpur, UW’s president and vice-chancellor, said in a release the institute will connect research with industry and identify problems and produce solutions that will actively benefit our society.
- Canada’s Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains was on hand for the launch event and took part in a panel discussion with AI researchers and industry partners.
- Artificial intelligence is estimated to contribute up to$15.7 trillionper year to the global economy by 2030; if properly leveraged AI will promote innovation, grow the economy and create thousands of middle-class jobs, Bainssaid.
- Apple’s (AAPL) hiring of Google’s former head of search technology and artificial intelligence is the latest sign that AI is becoming a major battleground for tech companies.
- X – Artificial intelligence and machine learning have become a top 10 spending priority for corporate chief information officers, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty said in a note to clients Friday.
- Deployment and evaluations of AI and machine learning systems have steadily increased over the last year, Huberty said.
- A Morgan Stanley survey out this week found that 48% of chief information officers are installing or testing AI and machine learning systems this year, up from 33% in April 2017.
- IBM Loses AI Lead – Last year, IBM had a notable lead over rivals in AI deployments and evaluations, but Amazon and Microsoft have quickly caught up, Huberty said.
- Privacy breaches and embarrassments – – – – The actions taken by businesses and other organizations as a result of big data analytics may breach the privacy of those involved, and lead to embarrassment and even lost jobs.
- Making patents and copyrights irrelevant – – – – There is concern that big data could make patents harder to obtain because patent offices will not be able to verify if a submitted patent is unique since there will be too much data to check through within all – -…
- For example, a bank or other type of financial organization may not be able to tell by a credit application the applicant’s race or sexual orientation (since it is generally illegal to base such a credit decision upon race), but could deduce race or sexual orientation based upon a wide…
- While the U.S. White House , the Federal Trade Commission, and others have recently expressed concern about the privacy risks that are created within using big data analytics, there are no legal requirements for how to protect privacy while using big data analytics.I’ve talked with many organizations about their big…
- There are concerns that by using such analytics to produce documents an organization may be accused of not including all the necessary documents.There is concern that big data could make patents harder to obtain because patent offices will not be able to verify if a submitted patent is unique since…
- Implementing artificial intelligence into an existing business is about more than algorithms.
- In fact, many AI researchers believe that algorithms are the easiest part of an artificial intelligence implementation.
- Algorithms need data, and for a business to assess, organize, clean, and use its data requires ways
Top Big Data Courses
The Ultimate Hands-On Hadoop - Tame your Big Data! (31,889 students enrolled)By Sundog Education by Frank Kane
- Design distributed systems that manage "big data" using Hadoop and related technologies.
- Use HDFS and MapReduce for storing and analyzing data at scale.
- Use Pig and Spark to create scripts to process data on a Hadoop cluster in more complex ways.
- Analyze relational data using Hive and MySQL
- Analyze non-relational data using HBase, Cassandra, and MongoDB
- Query data interactively with Drill, Phoenix, and Presto
- Choose an appropriate data storage technology for your application
- Understand how Hadoop clusters are managed by YARN, Tez, Mesos, Zookeeper, Zeppelin, Hue, and Oozie.
- Publish data to your Hadoop cluster using Kafka, Sqoop, and Flume
- Consume streaming data using Spark Streaming, Flink, and Storm
Taming Big Data with MapReduce and Hadoop - Hands On! (13,894 students enrolled)By Sundog Education by Frank Kane
- Understand how MapReduce can be used to analyze big data sets
- Write your own MapReduce jobs using Python and MRJob
- Run MapReduce jobs on Hadoop clusters using Amazon Elastic MapReduce
- Chain MapReduce jobs together to analyze more complex problems
- Analyze social network data using MapReduce
- Analyze movie ratings data using MapReduce and produce movie recommendations with it.
- Understand other Hadoop-based technologies, including Hive, Pig, and Spark
- Understand what Hadoop is for, and how it works