BigData News Saturday, February 10
BigData News TLDR / Table of Contents
- Jay Leno Thinks Americans Have Forgotten the Meaning of Luxury
- An afternoon on the road with America’s most famous vintage car fanatic.
- Jay Leno, luxury automotive group, cross-referencing obscure pop, Leno’s garage, new england
- Digital Twin of the Month: Twinning the GP38-2 iron horse
- We ‘digitally twin’ the EMD GP38-2 locomotive. At $1,7M each, this iron horse seems logical to ‘twin’ it to ensure reliability, resale, and efficiency.
- locomotive twin, iron horse, digital twin designs, road switcher type, good digital twin
- Tesla’s Autopilot Crashes, Elon Musk’s $0 Salary, and More News in the Future of Cars
- Plus: Elon Musk’s $0 salary, details form Uber’s secretive Strategic Services Group, and more slightly catastrophic news from this week.
- Tesla driver problem, Tesla Autopilot crash, Quoth Uber CEO, allegedly drunk driver, Tesla problem
- DLRL Summer School
- Deep neural networks are a powerful method for automatically learning distributed representations at multiple levels of abstraction. Over the past decade, they have dramatically pushed forward the state-of-the-art in domains as diverse as vision, language understanding, robotics, game playing, graphics, health care, and genomics. The DLSS will cover both the…
- deep neural networks, graduate students, cutting-edge research results, rapidly growing field, Organizing committee members
- AI applied: How SAP and MapR are adding AI to their platforms
- SAP is embedding AI in applications; MapR is doing so in its data platform. In both cases, AI is becoming more ubiquitous and more convenient.
- AI, SAP S/4HANA Cloud, practical AI applications, data, AI situation
- PyCon CZ (Czech Republic) 2018 is pleased to announce that its Call for Proposals is now open! The conference will be held from Friday, June 1 to Sunday, June 3. Talks will be on Friday and Saturday and Sunday will host developer sprints and workshops.
- PyCon CZ, financial assistance, Python language feature, free conference ticket, generous financial assistance
- Preparing for ML interviews
- Google Slides, ML interviews, , ,
- 16 Data Science Repositories
- Each one is a repository in its own, and they cover topics such as time series, regression, outliers, clustering, correlation, Hadoop, deep learning, Python, I…
- DSC Resources, time series, data sets, cheat sheets, popular articles
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 04:00:24 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-01-30T14:56:16.438000+00:00
Author: Hannah Elliott
- Jay Leno’s denim-on-denim thing is a whole lot of look.But after just a few minutes chatting with him in his now-famous garage, you realize it’s such a natural expression of who he is: a casual gearhead who just wants to be around cars.
- Since then, I have been in Leno’s garage, sat with him at charity events, driven old and new cars with him, and even let him drive me around Burbank in the sidecar of a 70-year-old motorcycle.
- On the weekends, he’ll pop in at informal gatherings of vintage car aficionados up and down the Pacific Coast, or drive by a swap meet to see what’s good.You might like to know that even though he owns more than 200 cars, Leno doesn’t own Ferraris.
- He’s the kind of guy that drives a vintage Fiat 20 miles up California’s Highway 2 to a remote mountain lodge in order to support a charity day for children in need.I saw his dressing room the last time I visited his Burbank warehouse; it held what looked like about…
- We talked about the cars Leno grew up with (“When you grow up in a little town in new England, anything with less than four doors on it might as well have been a Ferrari”) and how he learned to drive (it involved some old thing he and friends repaired…
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 20:00:50 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2017-10-24T19:48:44+00:00
Author: Matthew Mikell
- This was the first head-to-head race of the iron horse and bio-horse; the steam locomotive was battling for acceptance.
- This month we ‘twin’ a widely used locomotive.
- At an average price of $1,700,000 it seems logical to ‘twin’ a locomotive to ensure reliability, resale, and efficiency.
- A good digital twin can tell us valuable information of the locomotive inside as well as outside; bad weather accounts for 4–8 percent of railway disruptions.
- Other interesting details you should know of your (GP38-S) locomotive twin: – – Interested in more digital twins?
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 20:00:22 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-01-26T14:00:00+00:00
Author: WIRED Staff
- Senior writer Jack Stewart hashed it out.Plus, I looked into the Boring Company’s new and fantastical promises to build high-speed transport under Los Angeles, and Mark Harris uncovered the secrets of Uber’s secret-stealing unit.
- Editor Alex Davies explores the entrepreneur’s new compensation package, and what it says about the role of this singular car company in a rapidly changing industry.A long-awaited self-driving car trade secrets battle will begin next month, when Waymo takes on Uber for trade secret theft.
- Before breaking out the shovels, Musk’s venture will have to answer a ton of questions.Plea to Tip Your WIRED Writer of the WeekQuoth Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi during a speech in Davos, Switerland, this week: “The leaks… led Uber to finally understand that it had to make the changes that…
- Uber says it plans to pick up passengers in self-driving cars without safety drivers in 18 months.Waymo, meanwhile, will begin testing its self-driving Chrysler Pacifica minivans in the metro Atlanta area.Apple registers to test 24 more self-driving cars on California roads, bringing its grand total to 27.
- But it’s still unclear how much direct funding the feds will pump into repairing the country’s busted roads, bridges, tunnels, and transit systems.In the RearviewEssential Stories from WIRED’s canonBack in September, I looked at the National Transportation Safety Board’s conclusions on another Tesla Autopilot crash, a May 2016 one that…
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 13:30:44 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2016-11-01T00:00:00+00:00
- Deep neural networks are a powerful method for automatically learning distributed representations at multiple levels of abstraction.
- The DLSS will cover both the foundations and applications of deep neural networks, from fundamental concepts to cutting-edge research results.
- DLSS is aimed at graduate students, postdocs, and industry professionals who already have some basic knowledge of machine learning (and possibly but not necessarily of deep learning) and wish to learn more about this rapidly growing field of research.
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 18:06:52 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-10T15:00:19+00:00
Author: Andrew Brust
- SAP has that data, and combined with the HANA and Leonardo platforms, makes AI useful in an everyday manner.MapR way to MLIf AI is worthless without critical data, and if data has gravity, then it makes sense to bring AI to data platforms.
- Java and Python code running on Spark now have direct access to MapR’s OJAI (Open JSON Application Interface), which only Scala code had previously.Also read: MapR 6.0 converges control of data at rest and in motion on the same pane of glassWith this Extension Pack, MapR’s Data Science Refinery has…
- The container image is pushed to the nodes in the cluster, allowing data science-oriented Python code to run in a distributed fashion, on Spark.AI makes house callsWhile MapR’s application of AI is different from SAP’s, they have some things in common.
- In the case of a Big Data technology like Spark, bringing AI to the data also alleviates the need to build machine learning models based on mere sampling of the data.
- If the AI is co-located on the data platform, then building more accurate models using all the data can become routine.All in all, these two quarterly updates, both released this week, show how AI is burrowing into to all kinds of software, including applications as well as data analytics platforms….
Tweeted At: Fri Feb 09 08:56:00 +0000 2018
- PyCon CZ (Czech Republic) 2018 is pleased to announce that its Call for Proposals is now open!
- Presentation subjects may range from reports on open source, academic or commercial projects, or even tutorials and case studies.
- Package an application?
- The preferred length for talks is 30 minutes.
- We also accept extended proposals for tutorials and workshops of 90 minutes or three hours.
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 01:40:08 +0000 2018
Tweeted At: Sat Feb 10 20:00:38 +0000 2018
Author: Vincent Granville
Top Big Data Courses
The Ultimate Hands-On Hadoop - Tame your Big Data! (31,889 students enrolled)By Sundog Education by Frank Kane
- Design distributed systems that manage "big data" using Hadoop and related technologies.
- Use HDFS and MapReduce for storing and analyzing data at scale.
- Use Pig and Spark to create scripts to process data on a Hadoop cluster in more complex ways.
- Analyze relational data using Hive and MySQL
- Analyze non-relational data using HBase, Cassandra, and MongoDB
- Query data interactively with Drill, Phoenix, and Presto
- Choose an appropriate data storage technology for your application
- Understand how Hadoop clusters are managed by YARN, Tez, Mesos, Zookeeper, Zeppelin, Hue, and Oozie.
- Publish data to your Hadoop cluster using Kafka, Sqoop, and Flume
- Consume streaming data using Spark Streaming, Flink, and Storm
Taming Big Data with MapReduce and Hadoop - Hands On! (13,894 students enrolled)By Sundog Education by Frank Kane
- Understand how MapReduce can be used to analyze big data sets
- Write your own MapReduce jobs using Python and MRJob
- Run MapReduce jobs on Hadoop clusters using Amazon Elastic MapReduce
- Chain MapReduce jobs together to analyze more complex problems
- Analyze social network data using MapReduce
- Analyze movie ratings data using MapReduce and produce movie recommendations with it.
- Understand other Hadoop-based technologies, including Hive, Pig, and Spark
- Understand what Hadoop is for, and how it works